Monday, September 20, 2010

College Life


I am now a full time college student and I absolutely love it! I’m taking a Math, English, an Intro to Political Science class and a history class. I love history...it’s always been a favorite subject of mine. My major is Political Science and I’ve started a Disabled Student Alliance at my college which is so exciting. I’m also continuing my work on the Disability History Week Campaign. We’re in the implementation stage and since California is such a big state we’re starting small and we’ll get bigger each year. I’ve met some pretty incredible professors. Some of which I don’t even have. My biggest advice for college freshmen is talk to every professor you can. Network like crazy! You’ll meet professors that are really amazing. Some of them are reading this shout out! Also always stay ahead. I “tried” procrastination.......never again! Next month will be crazy. I’m traveling non-stop, which is why staying ahead and on top of everything is so important. Things happen for reasons we don’t see at first. For example, I was placed in an English class before 100, which is the transfer level. For me I personally, I think I should be in English 100 because this class is too easy. Even though I feel like I'm in the wrong class, I love the professor, so I’m happy to be there. Another example of this is while I was walking to the bus stop the week I started at my college. I met the Ethno Studies teacher. He has been a very big help and motivator for me. All my professors are really supportive of what I do. I love my college. It’s filled with great professors and staff. Seeing the sun everyday helps too. My life has changed so much. College is amazing. I feel like I’ve finally found where I’m supposed to be. I will put another post up about Syria but I’ll quickly mention it here. It was beyond words. Amazing and life changing to say the least. I am now planning on learning Arabic. Back to college life, in the month I have been there I have gotten everything set up with the Disabled Student Program and Services (DSPS), Extended Opportunities Programs and Services (EOPS). DSPS provides the accommodations I need for example I use a pulse smart pen in class which records audio of what I write on paper and gives me a copy through the computer. For more information go to HYPERLINK "http://www.liverscribe.com" . I also take notes on my computer, get extra time on my tests and have them scanned into Kursweil. Which is a program I use to read. It reads the words to me and highlights each one. Which helps me learn through my dyslexia and my visual impairment. For more information go to www.kurzweiledu.com/ . I also was asked by DSPS to start a club for disabled students, which of course I accepted. So now I am President of the Disabled Student Alliance. I just got an internship at an Independent Living Center which I am really looking forward to! My classes are all ready interesting. I am also planning on studying aboard next summer, which will be a challenge since I need to raise 7,000 dollars to go.....not including the classes. I am applying for scholarships like crazy! In my next post I will write about my amazing experience in Syria!

No comments: